Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Psalm 91:2

"I will say of the Lord 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust'" - Psalm 91:2(NIV)

Let's break it down one step at a time. If you remember Psalm 91:1, it hits hard on "shelter" and "resting in the shadows". Deep stuff. This verse is hitting just as hard on shelter, with a slight different use of vocab but just as powerful. This verse starts right off the bat "I WILL SAY OF THE LORD" read that OF in there. He is not talking to God but about God to others. What does he say to others about God?

"..He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust"

"He IS" - that means God currently at this time! He's not talking past tense in this.

Refuge: (shelter/protection from danger and trouble) - isn't this what everybody craves? Protection from all of earth's flaws and hates. Isn't this what parents want for their children? Isn't this what people die to find?

Fortress: (a large fortified place with great security) - aww snap! security? You forget about God's army didn't you? Angels will surround this fortress, no enemy shall pass. No other army can come close to you. Well read more about that in a later verse.

MY refuge, MY fortress, MY God - Look at how personal this gets. God doesn't pick the best looking people or the smartest people, anyone who loves Him and wants to share His love has Him! It is a relationship, the most personal relationship you can have.

"...In whom I trust" - Now that's a tough word to get across to people. Trust. How many people can you say you really trust? Some people have a hard time even trusting God! I know I do sometimes but thats just one more thing I can work on! This entire verse is an encouragement and an inspiration to strive to see the big picture of God.

No comments: