Tuesday, October 19, 2010

In this world but not OF it.

"They are not of the world, even as I am not of it." - John 17:16

How can John say he is not of the world when he lives in this world!? Simple. You can be in the world and not be of the world. Being of the world mean you satisfy your flesh rather than satisfying your soul or your spirituality that craves God. Oh how easy it is to fall directly into the ways of this world. As humans we strive to fit in and sometimes fitting in requires being OF this world rather than just in it. How many times have you caught yourself adapting to your surroundings without even knowing it?

Not too long ago, I was enjoying a nice game of basketball in my team sports class at my educational facility center. I love the game of basketball because it gives me an excuse to wear socks bigger than my arm and yell things like "FORE!!". Throughout this lovely game of basketball many of the players would reward another player with a compliment after he/she made a good shot. The compliment was the same every time. After each good shot that was made, I would hear somebody say "good sh**". Now I'm not the biggest fan of profanity but I never minded it that much. After a good twenty minutes of intense basketball(walking back and forth asking for the ball), I realized that I sometimes was saying "good sh**" after good shots too.

Without even realizing it, you adapt to your surroundings in unnoticeable ways. Sometimes it's a bad thing, sometimes it's not such a bad thing.But at all times we need to keep in mind that even though we are IN this world we ARE NOT OF this world! Whatever you do, make sure you acknowledge Jesus in all situations, breath, activity, meal, shower, rest, ANYTHING.

No comments: