Thursday, January 6, 2011

Jealous much?

When I was a kid if my brother got something that I didn't get I wanted it. If he got a new Buzz Lightyear toy with the special utility belt, which I still think is a fanny pack, I wanted it. If he got a new basketball and I didn't, I would take it and play with it. If he got new violin strings and that played beautifully, I wanted those too, I didn't even play violin I just wanted the strings.

It is a natural human inclination to be jealous! Everyone is jealous of somebody and wants something or someone that they "can't have". Nowadays I'm not really so jealous for basketballs and Buzz lightyear's but there are always things that get me going. When I see local musicians playing at nice venues I always have this thing inside me that wishes I could play there too. There are little things in everybodies life that just kind of nudges the jealous part into us.

"For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice" - James 3:16

"Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the Lord." - Song of Solomon 8:6

Did you ever know that the feeling of jealousy was that fierce? That it can really be that affecting in your life? As you go on with your days and you feel jealousy overcoming you at some point just kind of stop and COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS. You can't think of what you don't have when you're too busy thinking of what God gave you. One of the things that I have been coming to realize more and more since the past year is that God blesses me way more than I could ever deserve and when I feel jealousy start to overcome me, I start to think of things that I have that others don't have haha. As you bow your head in prayer, start by counting and thanking God for your blessing for you and I truly have no reason to be jealous.

No comments: