Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Time We Spend

"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to reap that which is planted.
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to to mourn, and a time to dance.
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing.
A time to get and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."

-Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8

Time is something we will never understand but something we should strive to manage. I'm writing this blog because I suck at time management and I know it. You always hear people say "I wish I had all the time in the world". We all want enough time to work, read, go to the movies, play music, be with our significant other, relax, etc. We can only wish. Since we don't have all the time in the world, how you spend your time really shows your priorities. It is easier to come home after working all day to sit down and watch hours of The Office and eating hot cheetos, believe me I know. But how far will that get me?

I know God wants me to use more of my time wisely for Him and spend it with Him. I can't tell God that I love Him and then never want to spend time in His word and singing worship. No one just automatically loves God because He is God. You have to spend time and develop a relationship with God just like you have to do with everyone else. I don't think I am the only person that God wants more of my time. I am sure there are others that God is itching to spend time with. The thing with God is though it is not that He feels obligated to spend time with you and He would feel bad if He didn't. It is that he genuinely loves you and wants to build a relationship with you. Some people will read this and feel guilty about not spending enough time then they will read some Bible chapters, say a prayer and get on with your day. That is not what I am talking about. I don't want you to feel guilty and make you spend time with God. I want you to WANT to spend time with God. I want to want to spend time with God.

It is easy to say but harder to do. We can spend all day planning on how to make our days earthly productive by going to the pool, watching the latest movies and jamming to the latest tunes. I am not saying that any of these are bad in any such way, I am just saying don't let the time fly and forget to spend time with who should really be your best friend. I am going to try to take some time today and really strive for more. I hope you do the same.

No comments: